Friday, September 14, 2007

Explanation

This blog has been created in order for me to transform the experiences I will have in Ghana into a readible format that you as a loving friend, family member or supporter can read.

My journey began three weeks ago in Eramosa where we gathered at a lovely cottage for the retreat that began prep month. I met the four miraculous individuals that would become my support group for the next 8 months and friends for the rest of my life. At this retreat we begun group bonding and building workshops that would bring us closer together to forming the FLOCK we have become. We also particpated in workshops that educated us about consenus decision making, conflict, white privledge, West African economy other issues facing Ghana.

That week then led us to our urban placement in Kitchener. We volunteered at a local soup kitchen where we learned much beyond the simple kitchen within the old building. I met many inspiring people. Some who lived pay check to pay check or on the street and where brillant and willing to share their knowledge with me. Other people like Gretchen the kitchen's cordinater who are willing to give time to allow people less fortunate then them the ability to eat lunch. Although the kitchen does take donation, they are in no way eating second grade food. Anything that we would chose not to eat because of expiry date etc, Gretchen would never serve. Within the kitchen was a friendly man from Guyana who comes to the kitchen every day with a smile on his face and love in his heart to wash the dishes. There was also a Nurse from Nigeria who volunteers her time to cook. What I was really impressed with were the amount of people who both use the soup kitchen and also volunteer there. This was truly a learning experience that I am greatful for. I truly believe that it is important to be aware of the poverty within our country before we go out to learn about world-wide poverty.

We have just completed our hiking week where we became comfortable with being uncomfortable. I am still recoperating so I will write about that in the next few days.

No comments: