Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I'm back in the lovely village of Luhuor. We spent our time in Nkawkaw relaxing and learning from Father Paul Lawer. He spoke to us of Africa traditional religion and it was quite interesting to hear about the rituals and beliefs including about witches. After four trotros' and one taxi I made it home around six on Friday night. I was greeted by hugs and smiles. I have been experiencing fatigue the last few days this is probably due to the fact that I havn't been able to sleep much the last few days. After sleeping on a very comfortable bed in Nkawkaw and going home to a bed which allows me to sleep in limited positions due to springs sticking out of the mattress can be difficult. Oh well, I will adjust.

Anyways since arriving home I have begun to admire my four Yayos' (mothers) even more. I watch them go about their work each day, looking after so many children, carrying huge loads of water, wood or other goods on their heads and taking time to laugh even when it is so hard. I want to tell them how much I admire them and am in awe of their strength but it is difficult due to the language barrier. I hope I can think of a way to show this admiration to them.

I was also able to 'try' and pound fufu yesterday. for those who don't know fufu is just another way to eat cassave, you pound it with a heavy log and it becomes quite gooey. This was an achievement that my Yayo allowed me to try and Pound the fufu.

Anyways, I must go as my time is ending on the computer and I am off to the market.

Peace & Love
Cait

3 comments:

amy & judy said...

Hey Cait,
Amy and I love seeing your updates.
I just watched a show on CBC about a young girl here in Ontario who sadly died but her MOM is in Africa
keeping her spirit alive by helping a village build a well.Just like you this mother and friend are so overwhelmed on what a daily routine is and how they can still be happy...these woman were exhausted trying to keep up.
For sure girls weekend when you get back.
XO AMY & JUDY XO

Dominican Experience said...

Love the stories of strong women, and our strong Caitlin for taking this leap in life and in herself. xO Pearson

Riley Grace said...

Love reading your blogs currie, makes me feel like i am there with you.
ALSO Iam very happy you didn't get the dreads ;) haha.

missing you lots and lots and lots.
loooove,
Riley/Trace.