Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Holidays, it's Christmas Eve and I am sitting in an internet cafe in Northern Ghana. Who would of thought.

Yesterday the group and I spent our time volunteering for a doctor who runs a free medical clinic called Shekhinah. Every Christmas they provide a free meal for the poor, mostly disabled. We sorted out used clothing and handed it out to about 3000 Ghanaians. We were told the clothing mostly came from The Netherlands. It was disturbing to see some clothes that were in horrific condition even stained, I was embarrassed to give it, even to those who really needed it.

We began by sorting through a mound of clothes, trying to pair things and make outfits and classify pieces by gender and sizes. The gates were opened sporadically and only a specific number of people were let in at a time. They began by only letting the disabled in. Some had leprosy, some without a limb or some blind or deaf. we handed out two pieces of clothing to each, we tried to give them a bottom and a top but we quickly ran out of pants and skirts.A crowd began to form at the gate, some just spectators from the neighbor others were also poor but consider healthy by the standards of the running the event. There were men watching the crowd and were to keep them under control but I believe that they helped contribute to this small almost riot. They used sticks and rope to hit people if they got to close or what they considered rowdy. Trucks would arrive and bring more people from the inner city to eat and the men would yell at the crowd and hit them. All I could do was stand and watch as I handed out clothing to the "more needy?". A few times they handed out small amounts of pure water or candy to the crowd. Picture ten pieces of small candy being given to 250 hungry people. A tease is what I would call it.

At the end of the event, after all the disabled and their families had eaten they let those who spent the entire day hovering the gate in. They received all the left over food and the scraps of clothing. Hours earlier all those who entered were each given a bottle of pop, now these people were passing one bottle down the line taking quick swigs of it. I was handing out the left over socks to this line of leftover people trying to pair them with at least a similar size when a Ghanaian volunteered came to me and said just give them anything it doesn't matter, I quickly yelled back to him, I'm not just going to give them one sock. This exchange happened multiply times in the last minutes of the events. But soon we ran out of clothing, even the scraps of material were gone, and the line of people continued. We were given shirts from the phone company that had sponsored the event. I quickly took mine off and gave it to a girl aged about 12 at the end of the line, then I was quickly swarmed by men who wanted one. Finally, the dinner ended, I know that some still went home hungry.

I think that this Christmas dinner does good. It DOES feed the poor. But I continue to ask myself 'why can't we help them all'. Why do those who arn't hungry get to pick and chose who is needy enough to get feed. These are questions that I have no answers to.


I really did feel good about myself when I gave a blanket to an old woman, or a baby shirt to a woman with a young child on her back. But every time I turned to the gate and saw a bigger and bigger crowd forming I felt sick to my stomach. There were instances when I really felt tears coming to my eyes, it just wasn't fair.

Tomorrow is Christmas. Today we are at the market buying a "feast" that we will make tomorrow, fried rice for lunch and pasta for dinner. Tonight we will also share a Christmas meal with some other foreigners we have met, A Canadian girl about my age, a Swiss woman and an American Family. I will also buy small gifts for Aryn, Marc and Amanda as they will for me that we will put in the stockings we made under our paper Christmas tree. We will do this as people around Ghana wake up to no new gifts. We will do this as people around Ghana eat Banku for the 15th consecutive day. We will have a special day, as people around Ghana live like it's any other day. One Worlds goals include to live in solidarity. We've lived with Ghanaians, traveled beside Ghanaians and bought food from the same places as Ghanaians, but are we really living in solidarity? This is a struggle I will continue to examine, hopefully I will find an answer that I can be proud of.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays
Peace and Love from Tamale Ghana

4 comments:

Riley Grace said...

Sounds amazing.
Merry Christmas Currie-licious.
i miss you!

Lisa Sigouin said...

Hey Cait!

You should be so proud of yourself. Don't worry, in my opinion- you did not miss much for Christmas in North America. Of course, family is great to be around, but unfortunately, we have grown to be so incredibly commercialized that the news only spoke of toys and children receiving gifts. There were no mentions of love, family, jesus christ, sacrifice- nothing. It took a Santa Clause on a cross (shown on the news) for North Americans to wake up in shock and acknowledge our views of christmas along with other things. My family donated money to a family for a year to eat, drink and be supplied with medical treatment. Of course, it's not nearly as giving as your christmas but I guess it is a start. I cannot tell you how inspiring and how proud I am of you. you truly are growing as both a woman and a fighter. Continue to fight for what YOU believe is to be right (ragardless of what those around you may think). A lot of people believe it can get you into trouble, but in my opinion- it is just FEAR. So be fearless Cait and remenber that the good deeds you have contributed to, each and every single one will help acquire both knowledge and yet another eye-opening learning experience. I will continue reading your blogs- even anoymously at times. :) I am here if you wish to discuss or share anything. Miss you and am glad to hear you celebrated the true meaning of christmas.

- Lisa Sigouin

Lisa Sigouin said...

Oh and happy new year!!

SpezzaIzzGod said...

Currie. That is a crazy story. Probably one of the finest to ever come out of Ghana. After the trip you may want to look into a career in writing or journalism, because the way you account your encounters is seriously amazing. I honestly cannot wait for the next blog post, they enthrall me. Miss you and love ya Currie! Happy New Years!
Mark Packard