Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"What you have done to the least of my brothers and sisters you have done onto me" (Matthew 25-40)

I have found the most beautiful place on earth. Don't be fooled by the lush green mountains that surround it, for inside its as busy as any city. The air is full of exhaust fuel from the many car and the market is over populated with people. The corners are scattered with 'spots' that serve alcohol and coca cola products and women who make a small living selling food they have slaved to live. But, it's not the things that make it beautiful, it's the people.

Quick, hide the screen of the computer and I'll tell you of this secret, magical place not known to the western world. It's called Koforidua.

I'm introduced here as a volunteer, but I really don't think I'm doing much productive work. I'm staying at a place called "Matthew 25 House". It's a Ghanaian NGO that works with people living with HIV/AIDS as well as orphans and vulnerable children. Basically they provide care for HIV positive people by assisting them with medical bills, giving them a place to stay when they need it, counseling them and teaching them income generating skills. They also provide general education and knowledge for the public to reduce the stigmatization for HIV/AIDS.

I have been here only three full days and have already learned so much. In a basic wording, HIV is a virus that weakens down the immune system, AIDS is the final stage of the disease. Because a person who is positive has a weak immune system it makes every other possible disease or sickness they make get, even a cold or pimples a thousand times worse. For example a pimple could cause severe disfigurement. It is another disease that the positive person dies from because their body was not able to fight it off.

Tomorrow I will go with some of the people living with HIV/AIDS to grind palm nuts.

I will write more as I learn more.

No comments: