Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Ice Pure Water"

It's getting near the end of my time here. Some days I find myself doing nothing. I could really see how someone could give up and hide in their room. But I refuse to stop learning.

For those of us who have had the pleasure of traveling to Ghana already, we know the term 'pure water'. For those who don't, basically Pure water is treated water that is sold in 500ml sachets. A bag of 30 cost 80 Gp. (about 80 cents). To earn money many people sell individual sachets of pure water that have been put in the fridge to become cold, some sell out of stationary coolers while others sell on their heads. These cost 5 Gp each.

I decided that I wanted to learn more. I wanted to learn what it would be like to sell pure water on my head for a day. So I loaded up a plastic container of cold sachets and ice put it on my head and went out to sell. the first sachet I sold was to a carpenter. I continued down the street, people staring more then they already do, most also laughing. I made it to a secondary school where students called me into classes bursting at the seams from laughing, I didn't mind, they bought water.

I finished what I had just past the school and went back to Matthew House to load up more. This time when I went back to Matthew House Fr. was there, he was so shocked that I was doing this but very supportive, I think he laughed more then the people on the street. I made another trip with even more water. I didn't make it very far before I ran out of water and quickly went back and made another trip towards town. My destination had been the market but a white girl selling water was too exciting to not buy from.

By the end of the day I had met so many people. Many asked why I was doing this, I just would reply, why not.

This morning I found out that the news was all over K'dua, a white girl sold pure water on her head. I walked to the market with Akosua (a friend of mine) and people were yelling CAIT CAIT and asking why I wasn't selling in Twi. It was a really great experience to physical feel what it is like to do a simple and popular job.

I've been told tomorrow I will be out to the streets again. I hope my back can handle it.

3 comments:

Riley Grace said...

This one makes me thirsty haha.
sounds like quite the adventure!
i cant wait till you get home!!!!

Cathy Currie said...

Anyone can travel to another part of the world and see the sights, but I think you have shown on several occasions throughout your blog that to truly appreciate another culture you have to experience it--literally.

arynotterbein said...

dude. a big bag of pure water costs us 10,000 here! bs! although, it is Tamale and people get real thirsty here... plus, with a clever name like Aqua-ba, they should get 10,000.